March

titles i have read

Rating Criteria:

♥♥♥♥♥// life changing

♥♥♥♥// good read

♥♥♥// okay

♥♥// wanted to put it away

♥// wanted to burn it

the sun and her flowers

♥♥♥♥// good read

248 pages 

Rupi Kaur’s, “the sun and her flowers”,  is a poetry book. The formatting is quite unique and also appealing. Each page has one poem or quote written on it which fall under a subtopic of the theme. The theme of the poems are shown through the symbolism of a flower. Each chapter talks about a certain phase a flower goes through; wilting, falling, rooting, rising and blooming. From there, Kaur connects her writing to the stages of the flowers; makes life seem as the growth of a flower. I enjoyed her poems. They are simple, but convey a lot to the reader. Her writing has some strong and heavy topics such as relationships, heart break and sex life but, all of these topics are used in conjunction of the idea of self-discovery. I’m not done this book yet but I will soon. At times, Rupi talks about the daily struggle of life that we as individual can not avoid whcih makes me feel connected to her writing. It makes me realize that I am not alone. Reading this book has helped me improve myself as a human being. A lot of her poems give you motivation to stand back on your feet and improve upon who you are rather than focusing on what others do. Overall, this was a good book and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for simple poetry to read for leisure.

A Thousand Splendid Suns

♥♥♥♥// good read

372 pages 

“A Thousand Splendid Suns” is a book written by the previous author I was reading, Khaled Hosseini. This book also takes place in Afghanistan just like, “The Kite Runner”. I am almost midway through this book. So far it has had a good beginning. I love how Hosseini gets to the point fast but also includes the details and descriptions in between so that the story makes sense also contributing to the pace of the book. His work has a lot of meaning and is very interesting to the readers which can make me want to read the book all day long and not stop. I figured this was a good book to improve myself as a reader and as a writer because of the complexity of Khaled’s work. I have definitely started to read more nowadays and starting to develop the interest of reading. I’d say that Hosseini’s work makes me want to read more, which has helped me discover the type of books I’d be interested in such as international adventures or romance. 

The Twelfth Night

♥♥♥// okay

181 pages

I have began to read this play because I want to improve my skills in reading and writing which will help me excel in my english 30-1 class. I have just recently began this one. I didn’t get much into it, but so far I have found it pretty okay. This specific copy of the book (picture above) provides the original play, and the translated version of the play alongside it.

Page calculations:

Total Pages Read– 395 pages

Pages read per week– 98.75 pages 

Pages read per day– 12.7 pages